National cultural policy is based on the constitutional aim of ensuring the preservation of the Estonian nation, language and culture in perpetuity. To achieve this aim, the culture policy needs to find harmony between the preservation and continuation of culture, on the one hand, and the innovativeness and openness of culture, on the other hand.
The state creates opportunities for culture to develop and to improve the accessibility to various cultural events. All Estonian residents must have a chance to create culture and to partake in it.
More of the Minister of Culture
The Ministry is headed by the Minister of Culture.
The Statutes of the Ministry of Culture
The Ministry of Culture is a governmental authority performing functions in their area of government arising from the law and assigned to it by the Government of the Republic on a legal basis.
On the history of the Ministry of Culture
The Ministry was founded on 27 April 1953.
Ministry of Culture
- The ministry forms the principles of financing culture and sport, cooperates with the Cultural Endowment of Estonia and other institutions that support culture and sport.
- It is responsible for the coordination of the whole heritage conservation field in Estonia.
- It gives national awards and grants for culture and sport.
- It develops creative industries together with other ministries.
- It determines the general development directions in sport and physical fitness and handles cooperation between various sport organisations.
- It participates in the planning of national media work, in preparing and developing policies for media services, and in issuing activity permits for the provision of media services in accordance with the Media Services Act.
- It supports the cultural activities of minorities, kindred nations and expatriate Estonians.
- It handles the integration policy and the implementation of the integration strategy in cooperation with other ministries.
- It prepares draft legislation in its area of government and checks that drafts are in compliance with the constitution and other legislation.
WE STAND FOR DIVERSE CULTURE AND ACTIVE ESTONIA
- We invest in the creation of a more
balanced living environment
- We are a trustworthy and supportive
- We consider the big picture
WE VALUE DEVELOPMENT WHILE APPRECIATING EXPERIENCE
- We act creatively and responsibly
- We are innovative, open and daring
- We respect traditions
EVERYONE IS IMPORTANT
- We invest in common goals and take responsibility
- We are respectful and benevolent
- We notice and we give recognition
Last updated: 16.01.2021