The Estonian people love the theatre. If we consider the size of the population and the number of theatre visits, which total more than a million (1.16 million visits in 2017), then Estonia has topped Europe and the entire world for years. The theatre scene in Estonia is unusually rich in both form and content.
- There are more than 1,700 people employed as permanent staff in the theatres.
- In 2017, 1,163,958 visits were made to performance venues
- There are about 540 premieres in total in Estonian theatres per year.
- There are more than 200 new productions per year.
The activities of theatrical institutions are primarily governed by the Performing Arts Institutions Act and National Opera Act.
- which organises regularly public presentations of the creative work of authors and performers;
- which is in employment relations with persons engaged in creative activities;
- which has an artistic director and an artistic council;
- which informs the public of performances or concerts.
Estonian Theatre Union
unites the associations, unions, societies and so on of professional theatre artists. It acts at the same time both as an umbrella organisation and as a trade union.
Estonian Union of Performing Arts Institutions (EETEAL)
unites Estonian theatre directors and generates policies and initiatives that are common to all the institutions, for instance the design and implementation of a financing scheme, ordering of the labour market by collective agreements, communication with other cultural organisations, and legislative initiatives.
Estonian Union of Small and Project Theatres
represents and protects small theatres and facilitates theatre projects.
Estonian Dance Council
enhances joint activities by Estonian dance institutions and organisations, protects the interests of its members and the whole field, promotes and appreciates Estonian dance art in all its manifestations.
Estonian Theatre Agency
handles copyrights in the field of theatre, promotes Estonian playwriting, gathers and forwards theatre-related information, introduces Estonian theatre abroad, collects and publishes Estonian theatre statistics. It also holds playwriting contests.
Phone +372 628 22212