Indrek Saar, b. 20 February 1973, Minister of Culture of the Republic of Estonia, incumbent since 9 April 2015. Indrek Saar is a member of the Social Democratic Party (SDE). Deputy chairman of the party since 2015.
- 2015 until present – Minister of Culture
- From 2007 to 2015, Indrek Saar was a Member of Parliament (as part of the XI and XII Riigikogu).
- From 2006 to 2007, he was the Director of Theatre NO99/Vanalinnastuudio (Old Town Studio). Prior to this, from 2004 to 2005, he acted as the adviser to the director of the theatre.
- From 2002 to 2007, he was the Deputy Chairman of Rakvere City Council.
- From 1996 to 2005, Saar worked as the Director of Rakvere Theatre, and as the Manager of the Rakvere Theatre House Foundation from 2005 to 2006.
- In 1991 Indrek Saar graduated from Kuressaare Secondary School No. 2.
- He has graduated with a degree in acting from the Drama School of the Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre in 1996.
- Married, two children.
- Passionate about basketball, skiing, swimming, theatre and music.
Membership in organisations
- Member of Social Democratic Party (SDE), Estonian Actor’s Union, Estonian Stage Fight Society and Wesenberg club.
- In addition to Estonian (mother tongue), Indrek Saar is fluent in English and Russian.
Minister of Culture
The Minister is appointed and released from office by the Prime Minister.
The Minister of Culture heads the Ministry of Culture and decides on the matters within its area of government. Additionally, the Minister reports on the activities of the Ministry of Culture to the Government of the Republic and submits proposals on deciding over issues related to the Ministry’s area of government.
The Minister of Culture approves the cultural recognition of cultural heritage objects and the exclusion of such objects from monument status.
The Minister of Culture manages the Council of the Cultural Endowment of Estonia and approves the memberships of the endowment panels, for example, the Endowment Panel of Folk Culture.
The Minister of Culture decides on the establishment of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry’s area of administration and approves their statutes, structure, and work organisation.
The Minister of Culture makes proposals to the Government on the Ministry's budget and supplementary budget, when necessary. At the same time, he decides on the use of budget resources and monitors the implementation of the budget. The Minister also approves the budgets of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government on the basis of the state budget.